In South Africa, destination weddings aren’t as common as they are overseas. There is still the misconception that these weddings are expensive for both the wedding party and the guests.
In this blog post, we will debunk that notion and explore why the South Coast in KwaZulu Natal is fast becoming one of the most sought after wedding destinations in the country.
There are many reasons as to why destination weddings are preferable rather than traditional weddings these days.
Advantages of having a destination wedding are:
- They are generally more intimate as the number of guests are less than at a traditional wedding, but they are your nearest and dearest, the people you really want at your wedding and not those you’re obligated to invite.
- Less stressful as everything is taken care of by your venue at your selected destination. You just need to arrive and prepare yourself for your wedding day. No frivolous errands and last minute running around to do. If there are any complications, your venue has to take care of it, the responsibility doesn’t fall on you.
- Depending on your choice of venue, destination weddings tend to be less expensive than traditional weddings.
- With the correct planning and timeous invitations, destination weddings allow for your friends and family to attend your wedding and take a holiday simultaneously. It means that they don’t spend money on travel for just a wedding and they have the opportunity to explore and discover a new place.
Now that we have looked at why you should consider having a destination wedding, let’s explore the reasons why the South Coast is the perfect destination for your wedding.
Why the South Coast is the Perfect Wedding Destination:
- It is just a 1h30 minute drive from King Shaka International Airport in Durban. Being an International airport, most international guests would be able to fly directly to Durban. The drive from the airport is along the coast and quite scenic.
- The South Coast has many exciting activities and exploration opportunities which make it a great destination for a holiday as well. They are:
- Blue flag status beaches
- It is home to the Red Desert, which is the smallest desert in the world
- It has two of the top ten golf courses in the Province
- There are great snorkeling and diving spots
- There are numerous nature reserves and hiking spots
- There is the annual sardine rush in the winter months
- It has the wild swings of the Oribi Gorge
- The South Coast is along the Indian Ocean which, with its warm waters, accommodates for swimming all year round
The South Coast has something for everyone, from the adventurous to the more conservative guest.
- It has a subtropical climate and the weather is comfortable all year round. The winters are mild, with an average temperature of 20 degrees celsius. During the summer, temperatures can go up to 30 degrees celsius. There is light rain during the winter and a fair amount of rainfall in the summer. The moderate weather allows for the perfect wedding at any time of the year.
- The venues in the area specialize in these type of events and are equipped with highly skilled and experienced staff, the correct equipment for coastal weddings and the know how. They will be able to get you a public or private beach, organize ordinances and permits and also have the correct contacts for anything else that you may require. Having this type of knowledge behind you will allow for a seamless and stress-free event.
The South Coast has always been a hidden treasure of South Africa, but that is changing rapidly as more people, both local and foreign, explore the idea of getting married there.
With the tranquil setting, the calm climate and the natural beauty of the area, you couldn’t ask for a better setting to start that new chapter of your life with.